Saturday, June 27, 2009

Farewell MJ

Today the world is mourning the loss of the King of Pop. From Boy Wonder to Wacko Jacko, I'm going to miss Michael Jackson and his antics. I always thought of him as a troubled, tormented lonely person with more talent in his white, sequined pinky finger than I have in my whole soul.  

His music spanned four decades and was always catchy and entertaining.  He was a philanthropist (We are the World), an obsessive with appearance (Man in the Mirror), had attitude (Beat It!), was a lover (Billie Jean) and perhaps launched his individual career into orbit with Thriller in 1984.  I can't recall whether my copy of Thriller was in the form of a vinyl record or cassette tape, but I remember singing along with MJ in my living room and pretending I was his favorite backup singer while trying to master the moon walk.

Over the last few days I have enjoyed watching the news channels as they pay tribute to the multi-layered facets of Michael's life and legacy.  Despite the sadness of his passing, I find myself smiling at the memories that dance in my mind as his music is played over and over on the television and radio.  I am reminded, too, of the many faces (no pun intended) of Michael and his music over the years. His music reminds me of the many different phases in my life as he passed through his.

Farewell MJ - your contributions to our world are many, your talents are great and, despite your troubled accusations and loneliness, your are a legend in your own way...  

Now where did I leave my sequined socks and can of Pepsi?

No comments:

Post a Comment